ORA-01994: GRANT failed: password file missing or disabled

From: Mandal, Ashoke <ashoke.k.mandal_at_medtronic.com>
Date: Tue, 1 May 2012 18:58:03 -0500

Hello all,

In one of my databases when I try to grant sysdba to a user I am getting the following error. SQL> grant sysdba to rman_main;
grant sysdba to rman_main
*
ERROR at line 1:
ORA-01994: GRANT failed: password file missing or disabled

After I checked in Google and Oracle Metalink I found the following recommendations and even after taking care of these I am still getting the error. I am wondering if you have any other suggestions. 1. The passwordfile is not owned by the oracle code owner (by default this is 'oracle'). Action: I have verified both the oracle binary and the password file woned by oracle Oracle binary:
UNIX> cd $ORACLE_HOME/bin
UNIX> > ls -l oracle
-rwsr-s--x 1 oracle oinstall 117672696 Apr 13 2011 oracle
Password file:
UNIX> ls -l /dmasdev1/u01/app/oracle/admin/dmasdev1/pfile/orapwdmasdev1
-rwSr----- 1 oracle oinstall 5120 Apr 30 11:17 /dmasdev1/u01/app/oracle/admin/dmasdev1/pfile/orapwdmasdev1-rwSr----- 1 oracle oinstall 5120 Apr 30 11:17 orapwdmasdev1

2. Check if the remote_login_passwordfile parameter is enabled: sys_at_DMASDEV1> show parameter remote_login_passwordfile

NAME                                 TYPE        VALUE

remote_login_passwordfile string EXCLUSIVE

Thanks,
Ashoke

[CONFIDENTIALITY AND PRIVACY NOTICE] Information transmitted by this email is proprietary to Medtronic and is intended for use only by the individual or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain information that is private, privileged, confidential or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient or it appears that this mail has been forwarded to you without proper authority, you are notified that any use or dissemination of this information in any manner is strictly prohibited. In such cases, please delete this mail from your records.

To view this notice in other languages you can either select the following link or manually copy and paste the link into the address bar of a web browser: http://emaildisclaimer.medtronic.com

--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Tue May 01 2012 - 18:58:03 CDT

Original text of this message