Re: v$sql - executions vs loads vs invalidations

From: Norman Dunbar <oracle_at_dunbar-it.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2012 11:44:30 +0100

Hi Gerry,

On 01/05/12 10:41, Gerry Miller wrote:

> LOADS: 2794
> INVALIDATIONS: 2793
> EXECUTIONS: 0
>
> How I read this is that this statement was loaded 2794 times,
> invalidated 2793 but never executed, but I think this opinion may stem
> from my ignorance. This is one of hundreds of such statements.

The 11g reference manual, is a little helpful on the EXECUTIONS, it states that this is the number of times that the object was executed since it was *brought into the cache*.

So, it looks like your statement hasn't been executed any time in the last 2794 loads.

Invalidation occurs, for example, when an underlying table is changed. The application (sounds nasty!) doesn't do anything like creating and dropping tables in a SQL Server "temporary table" manner does it?

I suspect that PARSE_CALLS will be about 2794 as well. Sounds to me like one of those applications that doesn't use binds and always parses.

Welcome to my world! :-(

Cheers,
Norm.

--