RE: Oracle Archive Solution

From: <Joel.Patterson_at_crowley.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 13:35:52 -0400

We used to have a sophisticated home unix korn shell grown archiving solution, (in previous yearssss -- that also went to tape -- including several directories and where not deleted until the where backed up to tape at least twice.

But now all the home grown solutions have given way to utilizing RMAN to manage backups and archivelogs, and that probably should be the core of your backup solutions. RMAN is also supported by oracle -- whereas your home grown solution is your own.

We have a recovery window of X days -- and permanently configure rman to backup to disk. sys admins back up the backups to tape or virtual tape libraries etc., beyond the scope of this reply.

A couple permanent configuration parameters: CONFIGURE RETENTION POLICY TO RECOVERY WINDOW OF 3 DAYS; CONFIGURE ARCHIVELOG DELETION POLICY TO NONE; # default

This default configuration will put your archivelogs into subdirectories by date. For example <backup dir>/archivelog/<date1>, <date2> etc, and the directories are automatically created including the archivelog dir.

Some of actual rman backup commands pertaining to archive logs are

crosscheck archivelog all;
delete noprompt expired archivelog all;
backup archivelog all not backed up 1 times; delete noprompt archivelog until time "sysdate-4" backed up 1 times to device type disk

To go into the complete backup solution is probably not something for a simple email, just remember:

"You do not have a backup solution until you have done a restore." -- probably several.

Best Regards,

Joel Patterson
Database Administrator
904 727-2546