Re: Upgrading primary and physical standby database from 10gR204 to 11gR203

From: Andrew Kerber <andrew.kerber_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 14:27:04 -0500

You might want to check the manual upgrade notes, there are actually a few more steps involved in a manual upgrade to 11.2.0.3. There is a post upgrade check script, and a script that is supposed to run some tasks that dont require upgrade mode to run.
Usually the upgrade instructions say something about upgrading the standby binaries first, then upgrade the primary binaries, then run the upgrade sql scripts on the primary.

If its a dataguard standby, the standby should upgrade by properly with log shipping.

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 2:20 PM, sundar mahadevan < sundarmahadevan82_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
> Greetings. We are planning to upgrade one of our databases from 10gR204 to
> 11gR203 on SLES 11 x86_64. This database has a physical standby configured.
> I was planning to stop redo apply on standby and upgrade the primary and
> rebuild the standby again. Since the size of the database is 1.6 TB, i am
> reluctant to rebuild the standby and was wondering if there was an easier
> way to upgrade the standby as well. I was looking at the metalink note:
> 458633.1 which suggests that it is possible. Google pointed me to some
> blogs that use dbua. In my case, i use startup upgrade and catupgrd.sql.
> Has anyone does this before? High level steps/ links to blogs / docs would
> be helpful. Thanks for your help in advance. Much appreciated.*
> *

Andrew W. Kerber