Upgrading primary and physical standby database from 10gR204 to 11gR203

From: sundar mahadevan <sundarmahadevan82_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 15:20:43 -0400

Hi All,
Greetings. We are planning to upgrade one of our databases from 10gR204 to 11gR203 on SLES 11 x86_64. This database has a physical standby configured. I was planning to stop redo apply on standby and upgrade the primary and rebuild the standby again. Since the size of the database is 1.6 TB, i am reluctant to rebuild the standby and was wondering if there was an easier way to upgrade the standby as well. I was looking at the metalink note: 458633.1 which suggests that it is possible. Google pointed me to some blogs that use dbua. In my case, i use startup upgrade and catupgrd.sql. Has anyone does this before? High level steps/ links to blogs / docs would be helpful. Thanks for your help in advance. Much appreciated.* *