RE: Running multiple Oracle homes on Windows

From: Jeff Chirco <JChirco_at_innout.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 19:18:57 +0000

I agree, oradim will take care of what home the database uses.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Schauss, Peter (ESS) Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 1:12 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Running multiple Oracle homes on Windows

This is for Windows 2003 sp2 in case that matters.

I need to upgrade some existing instances from 11.1.0.7 to 11.2.0.3. I only have one sever to work with so my high level plan is as follows:

  1. Install the 11.2.0.3 software.
  2. Clone one of the existing 11.1.0.7 instances for testing by editing the output of "backup control file to trace" and using ordim to create a new Windows service.
  3. Upgrade the test instance.
  4. After appropriate testing, upgrade the production instances.

This plan depends on my being able to control which ORACLE_HOME each instance uses. On my UNIX-based servers, /etc/oratab provides this function. How do I do this on Windows?

Thanks,
Peter Schauss

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Wed Apr 18 2012 - 14:18:57 CDT

Original text of this message