Re: Running multiple Oracle homes on Windows

From: Jeffrey Beckstrom <JBECKSTROM_at_gcrta.org>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 14:20:21 -0400

When you run oradim to create the service, it creates the service based on the home you are running oradim from.

Jeffrey Beckstrom
Database Administrator
Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority Information Systems
1240 W. 6th Street
Cleveland, Ohio 44113
>>> "Schauss, Peter (ESS)" <peter.schauss_at_ngc.com> 4/18/12 2:11 PM >>>
This is for Windows 2003 sp2 in case that matters.

I need to upgrade some existing instances from 11.1.0.7 to 11.2.0.3. I only have one sever to work with so my high level plan is as follows:

  1. Install the 11.2.0.3 software.
  2. Clone one of the existing 11.1.0.7 instances for testing by editing the output of "backup control file to trace" and using ordim to create a new Windows service.
  3. Upgrade the test instance.
  4. After appropriate testing, upgrade the production instances.

This plan depends on my being able to control which ORACLE_HOME each instance uses. On my UNIX-based servers, /etc/oratab provides this function. How do I do this on Windows?

Thanks,
Peter Schauss