Re: 11.2 CRS with 10g Database

From: Norman Dunbar <oracle_at_dunbar-it.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 08:37:43 +0100

Morning Niall,

On 18/04/12 07:17, Niall Litchfield wrote:
> Hijacking this a bit. Do people generally do as Alan does and use home
> grown scripts rather than dbca and database templates for repeatable
> database creation? Having recently gone through the catalog/catproc etc etc
> etc process I was surprised at just how long a db create takes these days.

At the moment I'm building rather a lot of new 11g databases on Linux. I hate DBCA so I used it to generate a pile of scripts to build a single database and then I modified those to suit our installation.

Now I just create a folder, copy the contents in, run two "sed" commands to change the SIDS and mount points then adjust the dummy init.ora file to suit the new database, set up my required tablespaces in CreateDBFiles.sql and run the top level script.

It's easier to do than type! And I do get a pile of pretty similar but standard builds.

Other people like DBCA and it's templates, but I find it far easier to "sed" a script to make changes than going through the whole DBCA process and changing each tablespace or datafile or whatever manually in a Java application running on an X session that's not even on the same server as where I'm trying to create the database!

It is, of course, version controlled for safety! (The scritps that is.)

Cheers,
Norm.

--
Norman Dunbar