RE: APEX Licensing

From: Wolfson Larry - lwolfs <lawrence.wolfson_at_acxiom.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 07:32:16 +0000

It's my understanding there's no charge for using APEX and it doesn't matter whether you're using 10 or 100 or 1000 users defined in APEX. They're free too. Apex users are not the same as named users in the database. While 11.2 comes with APEX 3.2 it's easily upgraded to 4.1.1 http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/developer-tools/apex/downloads/index.html

  Larry

Also from TOON Koppelaars last Aug 15th: What you can do is this:

  • Run OHS (Oracle http-server) with mod_plsql (which is required to connect to Apex in a scalable fashion, I'm not sure the 'embedded EPG' is scalable...) on the same server as the database. This should have no license implications as you are allowed to run OHS on the database server 'for free'. But do not take my word on this: check it for yourself.
  • Then run Apache on your application server and configure it to 'forward' Apex requests to the OHS-stack (I believe this is called: have Apache act as a reverse proxy to Apex).

I see this configuration applied succesfully at client sites. On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 5:26 PM, Louis BROUILLETTE <Louis.Brouillette_at_uqtr.ca> wrote: We use it thru AS (with mod-apache). It works very well.

Le 2011-08-15 10:56, dba1 mcc a écrit :
our customer plan to use APEX on ORACLE 11G database (LINUX server). Based on what I know APEX is former HTML database and come with ORACLE 11G software free. But when turn on APEX, we also need turn on HTTP port on database server. Due to security, we don't turn on HTTP port on database server.

  1. Does any one have other solution for this?
  2. Does APEX also come with ORACLE application software on 10G and 11G? Can we put APEX on application server?

Thanks.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Jeffrey Beckstrom Sent: Monday, April 16, 2012 10:04 AM
To: oracle-l-freelists; oracle-db-l
Subject: APEX Licensing

Is there a licensing cost to use APEX? Does your database license have to include all of the users connecting through APEX or how is that licensed?

Jeffrey Beckstrom
Database Administrator
Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority Information Systems
1240 W. 6th Street
Cleveland, Ohio 44113

The information contained in this communication is confidential, is intended only for the use of the recipient named above, and may be legally privileged.

If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.

If you have received this communication in error, please resend this communication to the sender and delete the original message or any copy of it from your computer system.

Thank You.

--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Tue Apr 17 2012 - 02:32:16 CDT

Original text of this message