Associative array fragmentation?

From: Christoph <cruepprich_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 10:23:17 -0500

I have a large associative array (index-by pl/sql table), that is indexed by varchar2. A procedure that uses this array deletes and adds array elements over and over again. Will this cause memory fragmentation which can cause performance issues? Is there a way for me to see this fragmentation?
Here is a short example of what I'm talking about. Imagine this type of thing done with hundreds or thousands of array elements:

DECLARE
  TYPE t_tbl IS TABLE OF VARCHAR(1) INDEX BY VARCHAR2(1);   l_tbl t_tbl;
BEGIN

  l_tbl('a') := 1;
  l_tbl('b') := 2;
  l_tbl('c') := 3;