SQL Profiles and Performance

From: Walker, Jed S <Jed_Walker_at_cable.comcast.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2012 13:06:53 +0000

Has anyone had experience with whether using SQL Profiles (optimizer_capture_sql_plan_baselines= TRUE, optimizer_use_sql_plan_baselines=TRUE) is detrimental to overall performance. I'm talking about problems I've heard with plan changing unexpectedly, but with overall performance. We have a system that has this set and I'm wondering if it might perform better without it. (This is 11.2.0.3.0 6-node RAC on RedHat 5.6) What I'm wondering though is if SQL profiles functioanality has much overhead that might impact overall performance? This is OLTP and I wonder if things might be better without them? (I have production only so testing means getting maintenance and turning it off)

Thanks,

Jed S. Walker, OCP
Principal Engineer, Databases
National Video Advanced Services
Office: 303.267.6759
P Please only print this email if necessary. Consider the environment and cost.

CONFIDENTIAL NOTICE
This electronic mail transmission and any accompanying documents contain information belonging to the sender, which may be confidential and legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or action taken in reliance on the message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please delete it immediately. Thank You