Re: RAC private network IP's - 169.254.x.x

From: Radoulov, Dimitre <cichomitiko_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2012 16:01:10 +0200

On 06/04/2012 15:05, D'Hooge Freek wrote:
> and to: http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/relnotes.112/e23558/toc.htm#CJAFGABG

Hmm,
I remember reading this requirement and at that time I decided that it didn't apply (not at least in the last case I was talking about). Now, after re-reading the MOS note and the documentation I'm not sure about that...

If I understand the note correctly, after certain bugfix RAC systems that use kernel 2.6.31+ and utilize multiple NICs for the private interconnect, require specific settings for the rp_filter parameter (and Oracle recommends setting this parameter to 2).

The system I was talking about is using RHEL 5.7 with kernel 2.6.18. Multiple bonded NICs are used for the Interconnect If I remember correctly, on those systems rp_filter was set to 1 for all NICs (I don't know if this is a default setting for this OS and kernel or someone manually set it after the OS has been installed).

So should it be changed to 2 on a system that uses kernel 2.6.18 when multiple NICs in bonding are used
for the Interconnect?

Best regards
Dimitre