RMAN: RESTORE DATABASE VALIDATE question

From: Anthony Ballo <anthony.ballo_at_onecall.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2012 12:23:10 -0700

Looking for general advice here and to clear up any misconceptions I have. I am looking at RMAN scripts currently running in both Prod/Test environments and I have a question about RESTORE DATABASE VALIDATE statements being used in our daily FULL backup scripts. For example (see #8) below:

RMAN> connect target *

2> run{
3> allocate channel d1 type disk;
4> sql 'ALTER SYSTEM archive log current';
5> backup as copy database format '+DG1';
6> sql 'ALTER SYSTEM archive log current';
7> release channel d1;}
8> restore database validate;
9> crosscheck copy;
10> crosscheck archivelog all;
11> delete noprompt obsolete;

12> list copy;
13> exit;

From my understanding, RESTORE DATABASE VALIDATE only validates Datafiles for RESTORE - not Archivelogs needed for a complete RECOVER. Also from what I recall from OU Admin Class, one would run this command prior to an actual restore and probably not daily. Plus, to accomplish what I think the prior DBA intended (test a RECOVER), you would also issue a "RESTORE ARCHIVELOG ALL VALIDATE" statement immediately after.

What is the general consensus here?

Thanks,

Anthony

Environment Info: 10.2/RAC(2-node)/ASM/No Catalog/OEL5