Database performance during hot backup

From: Hameed, Amir <>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 09:37:39 -0400

I am trying to understand if it is expected to see performance degradation of DML transactions that are active during a hot backup. It is my understanding that the only noticeable thing that happens during a hot backup for DML statement is an increase in the amount of redo generation and that is because Oracle starts to log full images of data blocks before a change is made to a data block. I am not aware of any impact on performance while in hot backup mode, unless the LGWR is being constrained for some reason.