RE: RMAN duplicate RAC to single instance - how to not duplicate redo threads and temp tablespace

From: Don Granaman <DonGranaman_at_solutionary.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 13:54:12 -0500

I do this all the time. Obviously, you cannot "skip" the redo or undo for any instance and still perform recovery, but you can duplicate the database and when it is done do (for a two-instance RAC database clone to an exclusive database)):

alter database disable thread 2;
alter database drop logfile group 7;
alter database drop logfile group 8;
drop tablespace UNDOTBS2 including contents and datafiles; ...
(Modify as appropriate for your system, redo logs and undo tablespaces.)

For the temp tablespace, I haven't tried the other suggestions, but I just do something akin to (using Oracle-managed files): create temporary tablespace tmptmp tempfile size 100M; alter database default temporary tablespace TMPTMP; drop tablespace TEMP including contents and datafiles; create temporary tablespace TEMP tempfile size 1024M; alter database default temporary tablespace TEMP; drop tablespace TMPTMP including contents and datafiles;

Of course there are other options...

Don Granaman | Phone: 402-361-3073 | Cell: 402-960-6955 | Fax: 402-361-3173 | Solutionary | Relevant . Intelligent . Security