Re: redo logs in noarchivelog mode

From: Norman Dunbar <oracle_at_dunbar-it.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 15:52:58 +0100

Hi Carmelinda,

On 28/03/12 15:37, Richard, Carmelinda wrote:
> This may be a stupid question, but I was installing a new database for the first time, and I started wondering, what is the useful purpose of redo logs if a database is in noarchivelog mode? Only if the database crashes and transactions were written to the redo logs before they make it into the database files?
If you shutdown abort, then the startup will do instance recover using the online redo logs.

Also, sometimes a problem in the database, can be overcome by RECOVER DATABASE which uses the online redo log to solve the problem.

Other than that, there's no reason why anyone would want to run a database in noarchive log mode!

Cheers,
Norm.

--
Norman Dunbar