RE: RMAN duplicate RAC to single instance - how to not duplicate redo threads and temp tablspace

From: Taylor, Chris David <ChrisDavid.Taylor_at_ingrambarge.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 07:29:21 -0500

(reformatted)
Neil,

Not sure about the threads of redo BUT regarding:

" Also, I wondered if it was possible to have the duplicate NOT create the TEMP tablespace as part of the duplicate?"

  1. Set your UNTIL TIME to a *future* date and the RMAN duplicate will "fail" at the end
  2. At this point your auxiliary database is an exact copy of your target database (DBID and all)
  3. Now, if you don't use an RMAN catalog, the DBID is not a problem but if you *do* use an RMAN catalog and both the TARGET & AUXILIARY database are going to be stored in the catalog, then you *must* use NID to change the DBID of the AUXILIARY db - the one you created. To do this: 1. set (or export) ORACLE_SID=SID_NAME 2. Mount database 3. nid target=/ 4. Follow prompts and open database resetlogs;
  4. At this point you have 0 temp tablespace data files
  5. The TEMP tablespace is still part of the database however so you can a.) add datafiles to the tablespace, or b.) drop and recreate the tablespace as you want
  6. To add datafiles to the temp tablespace after this approach (but I think the file has to exist - not sure if a touch/fsutil command would work here though): ALTER TABLESPACE TEMP ADD TEMPFILE '/filesystem/filename.dbf' SIZE 1000M REUSE AUTOEXTEND ON NEXT 1M MAXSIZE 8000M ;
  7. Probably you would want to drop/recreate the temp tablespace with the size you want.

HTH Chris Taylor

"Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort." -- John Ruskin (English Writer 1819-1900)

Any views and/or opinions expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of Ingram Industries, its affiliates, its subsidiaries or its employees.