Re: Online Upgrade

From: Marcin Przepiorowski <pioro1_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2012 08:22:23 +0000

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 6:36 AM, Purav Chovatia <puravc_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> We have a requirement to apply application patches online i.e. without
> downtime. Our apps run in active-active mode and hence the app layer is
> taken care of i.e. while instance-1 of app is being upgraded, the live
> traffic is handled by instance-2. And once that is done, live traffic is
> handled by instance-2 and instance-1 is upgraded. However the challenge is
> to modify the DB objects i.e. SPs, tables, indices, etc.
>

> If anybody has some best practices that are being followed can you please
> share?

Hi,

Have you ever consider building a new database and use some kind of one way data replication - like logical standby, Streams or Golden Gate.
With you production traffic running on database 1 you can do a upgrade to your required version and do all schema changes on database 2 and just use replication to keep data up to date. After all changes just switch application to database 2 and rebuild database 1.

I have used logical standby for rolling upgrades from 11.1 to 11.2 and it took around 2 min downtime - application switchover time.

regards,

--
Marcin Przepiorowski
http://oracleprof.blogspot.com