Re: RAC

From: Martin Berger <martin.a.berger_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 21:17:45 +0100

the best source I have found:

Oracle Automatic Storage Management: Under-the-Hood & Practical Deployment Guide

p246:
File Open
When an RDBMS instance needs to open an ASM file, it sends to the ASM instance a file-open request, with the filename, via one of the o0nn processes. ASM consults the File Directory to get the extent map for the file. ASM sends the extent map to the RDBMS instance. In Oracle Database 10g, for datafiles, ASM sends the entire extent map to the RDBMS instance at file-open time. In Oracle Database 11g, for datafiles, ASM initially sends the 60 direct extents to the RDBMS instance. For the remaining extents, which are located in indirect extents, the RDBMS requests subsequent extent map sections on demand. ASM delivers all the extent map pointers in the same indirect extent as the requested file extent.

does this answer your question?