Re: OS recommendations / experience

From: Tim Hall <tim_at_oracle-base.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 09:31:33 +0000

Hi.

Just my opinion here, not the law...

Oracle write the software on Linux, then port it to other OSes. Solaris is obviously an important tier 1 platform for Oracle, but I would suggest Solaris on Sparc is the one of real importance to them. That's where they make their big hardware money. They now offer Exadata with Solaris (x86) on the RAC nodes (still Linux on the storage cells), but someone mentioned recently they they've only shipped one of these. Yes one. If that's true (could be a lie), that does not fill me with confidence. Looking at all their other x86 appliances and engineered systems, they are all Linux-based. I've not seen Solaris x86 mentioned anywhere.

After living through the dying days of Oracle on Tru64, by choice I would no longer run on any platform other than what they are writing the code against. The software is always released on Linux first. The patches are released first on Linux too. Nuff said.

I have nothing against Solaris x86 itself. It's just that it is a minority platform in the industry in general and looking at Oracle's x86 appliances and engineered systems, it seems to be a minority platform in Oracle also.

Times change. Attitudes change. You ask next year I may say something different. :)

Cheers

Tim...