OS recommendations / experience

From: ~Jeff~ <jifjif_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 15:44:49 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all
As refugees of the Itanium-Oracle smackdown, we are now evaluating new platforms and I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on the following for production use:
- RedHat 4 or 5
  • Solaris 10 x86

We'd want to run instances from 9.2.0.6 thru to 11.2 on it, and 12g when it comes out , so ideally RH4 or Sol10 would let us run a single certified OS without resorting to virtualisation.

For that matter, does anyone consider Oracle VM (x86, not Solaris) production ready ?

We are a VMWare shop on the windows side, but the lack of hard partitioning for Oracle licensing poses some problems there.

Thanks in advance for any comments-