Autonomous Transactions - Good or Bad

From: Jeff Chirco <JChirco_at_innout.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 14:19:41 +0000

I recently saw Tom Kyte and he mentioned how he doesn't like autonomous transactions and said you should never really use them except for when logging errors. I didn't understand what was so bad about them and didn't get a chance to ask him. So I was wondering if any of you agree with this statement and why? I personally try to avoid them but I have other developers that use them frequently because they need to run other transactions over their current one. Thanks for any info.
Jeff