Re: Lock

From: Toon Koppelaars <toon.koppelaars_at_rulegen.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 19:49:00 +0100

Why do you ask this?
Logically those four rows will be exclusively locked by the transaction.

I wonder why whether Oracle 'creates' 1 or 4 'locks' (whatever 'creating a lock' may mean), is of any relevance...

On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 5:56 PM, Paul Harrison <cure_at_austin.rr.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I have a table with four rows. I issue the sql statement: update table set
> name = 'test'; this will update 4 rows. Will Oracle create 4 locks one for
> each row or 1 lock for the 4 rows?
>

> Thanks,
>
> Paul

Toon Koppelaars
RuleGen BV
Toon.Koppelaars_at_RuleGen.com
www.RuleGen.com
TheHelsinkiDeclaration.blogspot.com

(co)Author: "Applied Mathematics for Database Professionals"
www.rulegen.com/am4dp-backcover-text