Re: Accidentally created local df in RAC

From: Lei Zeng <leizeng2003_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2012 21:14:41 -0800 (PST)

Oracle has a 'drop' datafile command since 10gR2 (if the datafile is empty file) I never tried myself but I saw it in other people's blog.

Would you please test it out on a development box first? Just be cautious.

alter tablespace <tb name> drop datafile '<file_name> ';

Lei
DBspeed http://dbspeed.com/case_study.html

From: Herring Dave - dherri <Dave.Herring_at_acxiom.com> To: "oracle-l_at_freelists.org" <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Sent: Wednesday, March 7, 2012 3:35 PM
Subject: Accidentally created local df in RAC

I've got a potential resume-faxing situation in dealing with a 20+ TB db.  This is on a 6-node RAC, Oracle 10.2.0.4, RHEL 4.x, ASM, OMF.

I added a datafile to a tablespace on node1 and unfortunately forgot the plus sign in front of the diskgroup.  We use OMF so what happened is instead of a datafile getting added to ASM under <diskgroup>/<db>... it created one on node1 under $ORACLE_HOME/dbs.  Of course the other 5 nodes started complaining about ORA-01157 errors.  I saw this right away and quickly offlined the datafile.  Now the datafile has an ONLINE_STATUS of "RECOVER".

Unfortunately the database is in noarchivelog mode and also critical production (odd combo, I know), so I'm paranoid on trying anything further.  My thought is to use DBMS_FILE_TRANSFER to put the datafile in ASM, then do a rename and bring it online.  Is that the best method?  I'm pretty sure nothing got written to the datafile as DBA_EXTENTS shows no extents in that FILE_ID.

Thoughts?

DAVID HERRING
DBA
Acxiom Corporation

EML   dave.herring_at_acxiom.com
TEL    630.944.4762
MBL   630.430.5988

1501 Opus Pl, Downers Grove, IL 60515, USA WWW.ACXIOM.COM  The information contained in this communication is confidential, is intended only for the use of the recipient named above, and may be legally privileged. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please resend this communication to the sender and delete the original message or any copy of it from your computer system. Thank you.