RE: Migration from 8i to 11g

From: Walker, Jed S <>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 16:13:43 +0000

I recently did an 8i to 11g migration ( -> I opted to skip going through 10g as it was just too much extra work. Also, I opted to do export/import (yes, imp is still there in 11g) because I wanted to use new 11g features (we had the benefit of doing this in dev, test, and then prod - not sure if you have that luxury). I also used SQL Plan Management and migrated my profiles over from the Test system to production as part of the upgrade to help ensure good performance immediately after the upgrade.

I would definitely not just go to 10g because support won't be as good and won't last as long.