Re: Need Oracle 8i software for Linux version

From: Kamran Agayev (ICT/SNO) <"Kamran>
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2012 17:33:26 +0000

I've checked edelivery.oracle.com but the oldest version is 9i.

As it's already mentioned, open an SR ans ask Oracle for the binaries. They should still have :)

  • Original Message ----- From: Guillermo Alan Bort [mailto:cicciuxdba_at_gmail.com] Sent: Saturday, March 03, 2012 09:25 PM To: cichomitiko_at_gmail.com <cichomitiko_at_gmail.com> Cc: shastry17_at_gmail.com <shastry17_at_gmail.com>; oracle-l <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Subject: Re: Need Oracle 8i software for Linux version

Oracle removes the old binaries from the download site when support (all support) ends. You can probably still get it if you have a business reason and open an SR or you could probably get it through your oracle sales rep. Of course they will tell you it's not supported and blahblahblah, and could even charge you.
If you are planning on developing ANYTHING on 8i, do DBAs everywhere a favor and DON'T. If you are planning on migrating off of 8i and need to set up a testing ground for upgrade procedures or a testing environment to compare app functionality, then this would qualify as a valid business reason. Have you considered cloning the current environment?

HTH
Cheers
Alan.-