Re: vmware, and grid control

From: Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 21:29:11 -0700

For what it's worth, I concur - I have installed Grid Control on VMWare and have been reasonably pleased with the result in the past. Grid Control is a fairly hefty beast so make sure you give it enough horsepower.

Although I'd seriously look at moving to Cloud Control - why upgrade in 1 year? Of course, not everything monitored under Grid Control is compatible with Cloud Control, so ...

As usual with anything that involves Oracle App Server/OC4J, networking is the bear - it's a challenge to change the IP address or host name after install. In this case, especially true since all the agents are hunting for that host name and they all would need to be reconfigured. So spend the time up front planning that.

Oracle has somewhat changed their approach to supporting product on top of VMWare. Simplistically stated, if you have a problem, it is up to you to determine the problem is not caused by VMWare, but otherwise they are willing to demonstrate the exemplary support technique ;-) More info at MOS Note "Support Position for Oracle Products Running on VMWare Virtualized Environments" [ID 249212.1]

That said, I find I am slowly migrating everything toward OracleVM 3 (3.0.3) and Oracle Linux 5 (update 6 for now) in part because of Oracle's approach to licensing virtualized CPUs.

/Hans