RE: DB Appliance

From: Joseph Reid <jreid_at_braintreegroup.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 20:46:48 -0500

One last point, as my recent blunder with the Socket vs Processor. I reached out to the Oracle Senior Director of Product Management on the SE issue. Here is his response:

" At this point there is no plans to support SE on the ODA.

Note you can re-image the system with Linux and install SE. You loose the ODA features of easy support, easy patching, and sub-capacity licensing (maybe not important for socket-based pricing SE). What you end up with is a generic white box server running Oracle software--this is supported. However, without the value of the appliance manager (patching and support), I'm not sure this is compelling."

So you can run SE on this box however it seems pointless.

JR