Re: DB Appliance

From: ~Jeff~ <jifjif_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 23:43:41 +1300

hey all
We have just ruled out ODA as a replacement for a single-server, 40-odd db setup because of:
- no support for 9i, 10g, or even 11.1
  • no support for virtualisation to run 9i
  • no support for double mirroring (instead of triple) for the extra capacity
  • ... which meant the storage capacity was a bit low for us. And no bigger storage option, yet.
  • no room or support for HBAs (but NFS mounts seemed ok)

And personally I was real keen on it until then !! The pay-as-you-go licensing was v.attractive, given the difficulty in keeping a lid on cores and licenses when acquiring a new server.

I could see it making sense for a bigger environment that could manage to populate it with only 11.2 instances though.

It would be great if the above caveats could be addressed, though I suppose there's not much chance for us to see that in the next few months.

-jeff

--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Wed Feb 29 2012 - 04:43:41 CST

Original text of this message