RE: DB Appliance

From: Allen, Brandon <Brandon.Allen_at_OneNeck.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 22:55:09 +0000

I just checked the numbers and I came out with different values than Niall (details below, maybe I made some different assumptions), but still the same conclusion - you could save a lot of money by running Standard Edition on similar hardware if you don't really need the Enterprise Edition features, but if you do need EE, then the ODA looks like a reasonable value.

Regards,
Brandon

Details (scroll down for references):

Looking at the current U.S. price list it shows Oracle Standard Edition is $17,500 per processor and if we use the .5 multi-core factor given for the Intel 56XX series, then that means the total would be $17,500 x 12 if you ran a similar custom built machine with 24 cores. That comes out to $210,000, which equals £132,191 if Google's calculator is correct.

The cost for Oracle EE is $47,500/CPU + $23,000/CPU for RAC so if you multiply that out across 12 cores after the .5 multi-core factor it comes to $846,000 (which equals £532,544). The price for the ODA "Large" configuration with RAC across all 24 cores is $896,000, so it looks like they are charging $50,000 for the hardware, pre-installation, Appliance Manager and whatever other extras are included. It looks like they still charge extra for the management packs though if you want to add those.

http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/contracts/processor-core-factor-table-070634.pdf

https://shop.oracle.com/pls/ostore/f?p=dstore:2:77602628425989::NO:RIR,RP,2:PROD_HIER_ID:114335456219731897011227

http://www.oracle.com/us/products/database/oracle-database-appliance-ds-495410.pdf