playing around with LEADING hint - need input

From: Taylor, Chris David <>
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2012 08:40:15 -0600

So, I'm working on a particularly quarrelsome query and I was looking up things I might could throw at it (to see what sticks if you will - call it 'brainstorming') and I looked up the LEADING hint. I'm wondering how to quantitatively determine "how" to use the LEADING hint in the most meaningful way. QUESTION:
How can I determine which tables should be passed to the LEADING hint and lead to better query execution? Obviously I can continue down the brainstorming path and throw things at it until I *perhaps* hit a combination that works, but obviously that is exceptionally inefficient.

Any suggestions/tips for the specific question?

Chris Taylor

"Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort." -- John Ruskin (English Writer 1819-1900)

The views and opinions expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of Ingram Industries, its affiliates, its subsidiaries or its employees.