Re: Oracle upgrade

From: April Sims <aprilcsims_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2012 10:54:50 -0600

Tim,
In my notes for our 11.2.x upgrade/migration I noticed that the directory changed...

o. Check and adjust any DBA_DIRECTORIES…the default DATA_PUMP_DIR changed with the upgrade. See MOS Bug 9006105 DATA_PUMP_DIR is not remapped after database upgrade

SYS                            DATA_PUMP_DIR
/u01/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_2/rdbms/log/

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 8:44 AM, Tim Hall <tim_at_oracle-base.com> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Can't say I've noticed it myself, but did it change to
> "$ORACLE_BASE/admin/SID/dpdump"?
>
> This is the default for that directory, so it is not beyond the realms
> of possibility that the upgrade updates the directory to the default
> path. The catalog and catproc scripts contain loads of stuff,
> inicluding all the DP stuff, so it is likely the CREATE OR REPACE
> DIRECTORY command was run.heers
>
> You should probably not have a rant at your colleague. I know it feels
> good sometimes, but "Just because it feels good, doesn't make it
> right!".
>
> Tim...
>
> On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 2:25 PM, Goulet, Richard
> <Richard.Goulet_at_parexel.com> wrote:
> > All,
> > Before I go off like a gun in a colleagues face, has
> anyone had their DATA_PUMP_DIR changed when doing an Oracle upgrade? A
> colleague of mine did an upgrade of a dev database the other day for me
> from 11.2.0.2 to 11.2.0.3. I had the DATA_PUMP_DIR pointed to an NFS mount
> to a san disk that is also shared out with windows. This way our
> developers can ask for a data dump and have access to it from their
> desktops. Well, today someone did & the file did not appears as expected,
> so after the 3rd try I looked at the definition and sure enough it had
> changed. Anyone else have a similar experience so I can blame Oracle.
> >

> > Richard Goulet
> > Senior Oracle DBA/Na Team Leader
> >

> > --

April C. Sims
IOUG SELECT Journal Executive Editor
http://aprilcsims.wordpress.com
Twitter, LinkedIn
Oracle Database 11g – Underground Advice for Database Administrators
<http://www.amazon.com/Oracle-Database-Underground-Advice-Administrators/dp/1849680000/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid72289339&sr=8-1#noop>
https://www.packtpub.com/oracle-11g-database-implementations-guide/book
OCP 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g DBA
Southern Utah University