Re: pros/cons of setting COMPATIBLE parameter 11.2.0 or

From: nilesh kumar <>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 22:30:55 +0530

Yes, once you set the compatible parameter to 11g, you cannot downgrade it back to 10g as control files get updated, i had the same issue hence had to do a complete restore as application team wanted to downgrade the database after upgrade.

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 10:12 PM, Michael Dinh <> wrote:
> From my understanding, once you set compatible, there's no undo.
> Hence, if you have multiple databases, I would think setting compatible to the lowest version.
> If you are 110% sure the database will be isolated, then safe to set compatible to
> Michael Dinh
> Disparity Breaks Automation (DBA)
> Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people - Eleanor Roosevelt
> Confidence comes not from always being right but from not fearing to be wrong - Peter T Mcintyre

Thanks & Regards
Oracle DBA (sqlplus "/as sysdba" is my world)

"As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of
darkness surrounding it."--Einstein
"All men die, few men ever truly live" -- Braveheart
"You can get help from teachers, but you are going to have to learn a
lot by yourself, sitting alone in a room." --Dr. Seuss
"Know me for what I do and for not what I am. Judge me for what I can
do and not for what I have done."-Unknown
"Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I
may not lead. Just walk beside me and be my friend."- Albert Camus
"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then
beat you with experience." - Unknown