RE: 17Gb table with long column to be replicated.

From: Taylor, Chris David <ChrisDavid.Taylor_at_ingrambarge.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2012 13:55:31 -0600

Joel,
Is this table in Oracle now? (I'm assuming so since it has a LONG data type, but maybe LONGs are in other systems)

I have a function I use to convert LONGS to CLOBS - could you use this? I know in exports and datapump you can provide a SQL statement to generate the data to export so I'm assuming you could create a similar function and call it against in your SQL to generate the text you want to export.

You'd have to modify it to get what you need but I would think it would work to grab the LONG data column.

Here's the function:

CREATE OR REPLACE function fn_convert_long (p_id number) return clob is l_long long;
v_result clob;
 begin
 SELECT text --Long Column from your view/table  INTO l_long
 FROM sys.view$ -- your table/view here  WHERE obj# = p_id; -- where criteria here v_result := l_long;
 return(v_Result);
 exception -- exception handling here
  when no_data_found then

        dbms_output.put_line('No Data Found');  end;
/

Chris Taylor
Sr. Oracle DBA
Ingram Barge Company
Nashville, TN 37205

"Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort."
-- John Ruskin (English Writer 1819-1900)

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the named recipient, please notify the sender immediately and delete the contents of this message without disclosing the contents to anyone, using them for any purpose, or storing or copying the information on any medium.