Re: Disk file operations I/O

From: kyle Hailey <kylelf_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2012 10:47:55 -0800

Thanks for pointing out mnt_timeout. The database AFAIK is not on dNFS, so not sure if mnt_timeout applies. Doc says default value is 10 minutes which is higher than the actual wait, so something else is probably going on, though it might be better to set mnt_timeout low, to actually see if a timeout occurs. A timeout might be handled better than the current situation.
According to Oracle support, on this version, the file functions are:

1 file creation
2 file open
3 file resize
4 file deletion
5 file close
6 wait for all aio requests to finish
7 write verification
8 wait for miscellaneous io (ftp, block dump, passwd file) 9 read from snapshot files

Though the file types should match from DBA_HIST_IOSTAT_FILETYPE_NAME thus the issues is

     file open on data files

The data look suspiciously like the bug, though the bug is suppose to be fixed in 11.2.0.3 patch set (which I'm unclear if that is just 11.2.0.3 or a patch on top fo 11.2.0.3 )

Yes, looks like it might be time for some tracing which will require some script automation.

  • Kyle