Best Practice

From: mek s <sidi.bouzid.meknessy_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2012 09:52:51 +0100

Hello,
We are designing a DR solution using Oracle Data Guard 11gR2.

1- Physical Oracle Data Guard with Primary / Standby database.

2- Use Maximum Availability Mode.

3- Use the Observer for automatic failover.

4- Turn on Flashback databases.

5- Use the broker.

We only have site A and site B. The primary will be placed in the Site A and the standby with be placed in the Site B.

The primary database will run on host 1 in the Site A. The standby will run on the host 2 in the Site B.

The observer will run on the host 3 (Until now, we don't know where to place the observer; in Site A or Site B) but it will run on one of the application host.

Now, Questions;

1- After a fail over / switch over, will the observer point monitor automatically the standby site or do we need to point the observer manually to monitor
the new primary site?

2- Giving my configuration (having only 2 sites), What is the best place to put the observer? What is recommended? I know that the best solution is to have a third environment
but, in my case we only have 2. what are your suggestions based on your real world set up?

3- Giving my configuration (having only 2 sites), What is recommended to have a *HA solution for the observe*r , without the use of Grid Control?

Thank you,