RE: storing blobs in database

From: D'Hooge Freek <Freek.DHooge_at_uptime.be>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 10:06:51 +0100

Jef,

You mentioned the main objection I have with separating the blob data into a different database: inconsistency between metadata and data (especially when you need to restore backups or switchover to the standby site).

As mentioned by others, you can speed up the daily backups by portioning your data (by time) and exclude the tablespaces (both the ones holding the actual securefiles and the ones holding the metadata) from the daily backup. Or by using incremental (cumulative) backups (especially with the block change tracking functionality).

Regards,

Freek D'Hooge
Uptime
Oracle Database Administrator