Re: Multiple VMs using the same Oracle binaries

From: David Mann <dmann99_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 17:36:45 -0500

>Has anyone done the shared binaries between
>servers before? What are your thoughts?

We do this where I currently work. All data files and binaries are on NAS/SAN devices and are separate from the db machines.

I thought these folks were crazy but I now 'get' why it is this way. We have an OHOMEPROD mount that attaches to /u01/app/oracle and we connect that to all our servers so that set of files is available everywhere. We also have an OHOMEDEV mount that services dev/test.

Pros:
o Recovering from machine (or VM in your case) failure - mount the Home and Datafiles mounts on another server, do a little config and you are back up and running.
o Bringing newly installed machines into the 'fold' is a lot easier than firing up OUI and waiting for the install to run. Even if you have it scripted with a response file this can be painful to wait for. o You are guaranteed to be running the same binaries everywhere. If you need to move a DB From one server to another this is a big plus. o We push a copy of our OHOME mounts to our remote DR site so we can easily bring up any DB there as well.
o We have a /u01/app/oracle/script directory with our custom commonly used shell scripts, it is nice to know they are available everywhere and are all the same version no matter where I access them from.

Cons:
o Learning curve and just getting comfortable with it. I tiptoed around the new-to-me config for a couple of months before I was comfortable.
o Once a set of binaries is installed and pached we don't touch it. To patch we create a new Oracle home. When multiple DBs use the same patch level this is great, when they start to diverge it can get unwieldy. Decide on a naming convention with some good descriptive home directory names from the get-go.
o Get familiar with root.sh as you will probably need to leverage it to use the binaries for the first time on a new machine/VM. o Make a mistake in one place and it can bring everyone down. We hit an OUI issue that started deleting all the files from our shared home. One by one groups of systems started dying. We finally found the process, stopped it, an restored our backup... and restarted a few hundred databases... that was a hellish day for sure. o Getting used to some heavy use of symbolic links. Our /u01/app/oracle/admin/DBxx directories live on the OHOME mount... but it only has symbolic links to directories on the shared storage. o I would suggest different OHOME mounts for Dev/TEst and Prod. No reason for a testing issue (like mentioned above) affecting Prod when it doesn't need to.

This is what I can remember off the top of my head. If anyone has any resources to share on the topic would love to check them out.

--
Dave Mann
www.brainio.us