Re: Archivelog on Rac 11gr2

From: Guillermo Alan Bort <cicciuxdba_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 12:59:45 -0300

As a general rule for RAC you have to stop the database (srvctl stop database -d <DB_NAME>
then start a single instance srvctl start instance -d <DB_NAME> -n <local node> - o MOUNT
and connect as sysdba using sqlplus:
sqlplus "/ as sysdba"
SQL> alter database archivelog;
SQL> shutdown immediate;
-- this needs to be done in single instance mode. if you are worried that someone might start the database while you are working you can set cluster_database init parameter to false. Just remember to set it to true before attempting to start all the instances. then startup the database again:
srvctl start database -d DB_NAME.
In order to maintain resilience in the RAC you should send archivelogs to a shared location so they can be used by RMAN for backup an restore operations. This can be either a ASM diskgroup (generally you want archivelogs in a different diskgroup from redologs and data) or a shared filesystem (OCFS2, NFS, some propietary cluster filesystem). I usually go with ASM for archivelogs and NFS for backups (if there isn't a tape infrastructure).

hth
Alan.-