Re: Oracle strace output - detail

From: Phil Jones <phil_at_phillip.im>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 22:12:45 +0000

Why do you say it shouldn't make a difference?

It makes a huge difference CPU-wise.

Remember you're dealing with a general regexp parsing library, and not an optimised Oracle kernel standard sql LIKE % query. regexp_like will never beat a LIKE % query.

Forget looking at a sqlplus strace - the SQL is executed on the server, not the client. Check the CPU % of the 2 queries in the DB. That'll prove my point.

Cheers,

Phil