Replication vs Data Guard

From: Denis <denis.sun_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 07:06:20 -0800 (PST)

Hi, experts,

Recently I need to think about replication (Golden Gate, or Shareplex or Streams) vs Dataguard. I understand they can be used for different purpose. Specifically Dataguard is a DR solution. But as I understand it is not saying replication cannot be used as DR. I am thinking of that replication should be better than dataguard in the area of latency ( here the latency means the time difference between a DML statement is done at source and at target). My reasoning is replication usually process the redo/archived log at source side, extract necessary info and only transport these info over network, while dataguard is shiping the whole redo to target(statndy), then process the redo at target side. Considering the network latency, seems that dataguard cannot beat replication in terms of latency. Am I reasonable? anyone can point some public info about such a comparison?

We are using shareplex now for a OLTP with 100GB redo per day, occaisonally under some condition, we have ~ 60 min latency. I am afraid if we switch to dataguard , such latency could be bigger. Your inputs are appreciated.

Denis