Slightly OT: ETL Tools

From: Kellyn Pot'vin <kellyn.potvin_at_ymail.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2012 10:52:26 -0800 (PST)

Hey Listers!
I've been tasked with a new data warehouse project and one of the steps is to decide if we wish to continue all our transformations and build steps through SQL or if we would be better off utilizing an ETL tool.  I have documented, as well as my manager, the pros and cons of going with an ETL, but I'm hitting up a number of resources on what ETL tools are preferred by different groups. Developers and DBA's, from your POV, what ETL tools do you think are the best? I'm looking for the following:
1.  What was the product and how long did you work with it?

2.  In what capacity you supported the product, (i.e. as a DBA or developer) and/or did you perform the tasks as an ETL administrator or supported the technical peer who did perform these functions for the business? 3.  What were the best features/ limiting drawbacks of the product?

Questions may seem involved, but feel free to just slap a few lines of info together and I would really appreciate any feedback you can offer! Thanks!

Kellyn Pot'Vin
Sr. Database Administrator and Developer DBAKevlar.com