Re: waits

From: Niall Litchfield <niall.litchfield_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2012 13:30:40 +0000

The threshold is set in terms of contributions to the time model statistic "db time" which is essentially non-idle database work expressed in seconds (active sessions can be thought of as db time per second). There will always be some DB Time, and then there will always be a breakdown of that activity. I wouldn't be wanting to delve too much into the actual thresholds (which is why I don't know what they are off hand) but I definitely would be interested in either
  • responding to complaints about poor performance from users in terms of "where does the time go"
  • generally ensuring that DB Time per Second is at a reasonable level ( < n seconds per second where n is the cpu core count is my rule of thumb).

Rule 1 above trumps rule 2. Always.

So I wouldn't be changing thresholds, but I would be keeping communication channels open with my users and sanity checking ADDM reports against the period of time for which they report.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA