Switchover of Logical Standby database

From: Gerry Miller <gerry_at_millerandbowman.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 15:24:24 +1000

I have had some experience with physical standby databases and the Data Guard broker but have recently been asked to implement a logical standby on on Windows 2008 Server. I was quite surprised to find that when a switchover or failover is performed that the databases are not shutdown, which results in a faster operation. However, I was perturbed to find that any sessions that were originally on the primary remained on the same database, that is, ended up on the standby database, when I would have expected them to be on the new primary. Queries can still be executed but any attempts at DML result in : "ORA-16224 Database Guard is enabled". This seems an unlikely situation and I can't help but feel that I must have something wrong with the configuration, although I can't imagine that it would work at all if that were the case.

Is this the expected behaviour or should the sessions have transferred during the switchover?