Data Guard

From: P D <pdba1966_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 10:47:50 -0500

I have a Data Guard Logical configuration. When I shutdown the standby database, I receive alerts from the PRIMARY "ORA-01089: immediate shutdown in progress - no operations are permitted". Before shutting down the standby, I already altered database to stop logical apply and also altered the primary to defer. Even though I get the immediate shutdown in progress error in the primary, it is still up and I can run some queries like select * from v$instance; Why is it saying immediate shutdown in progress?

Also, I have some trouble running a cold backup on the primary because when it tries to start and reopen the database afterward, it says database already open.