Re: 2 questions about transactions.

From: Subodh Deshpande <deshpande.subodh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2011 22:50:22 +0530

II think it is related with RBS management.. Before UNDOS..roll back segments were used...and for a particular/selected  long transaction a facility was given that you can allocate a RBS ...so other RBS will be used for other ongoing transactions.. thanks....subodh

On 8 December 2011 21:27, Dba DBA <oracledbaquestions_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Version: 10.2.0.5
> Question 1:
>
> SET TRANSACTION command
>
> We are looking at logminer and noticing that one of our applications is
> issung a set transaction read write. The problem with this is that oracle
> records this as an open transacxtion. We are using golden gate and it has
> issues with long running transactions. So we have processes that connect to
> oracle, issue this, and then go idle. Before we go back to the developers,
> we want to dig up some more information. Their application probably doesn't
> need to do this. They may not even know they are doing it. It could be
> built into what ever library they are using to connect to the database. We
> noticed that set transaction is not recorded in v$sqlarea. Is there
> anywhere else other than logminer where we can dig up data on set
> transaction commands? I also noticed that you can name your transaction..
> see link below. is that recorded in the data dictionary? I looked at the
> docs for v$rtransaction and I do not see a field for transaction name?
>

> Question 2:
>
> I googled this before I asked, but I didn't really find what I was looking
> for. Is there a way to estimate how much work it will be to kill and
> rollback a session? I have looked at v$undostat, but I am not sure how to
> take the data I am seeing there and turn it into a rough estimate of how
> long it will take to rollback. I know it will be based on how busy the
> database is and it is application specific. Has anyone done any work with
> estimate how long it takes to roll something back:?

TRUTH WINS AT LAST, DO NOT FORGET TO SMILE TODAY