HA Architecture Plus + Reporting Purposes

From: Avadhani mys <avadhanimys_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 12:35:46 -0800

Hi Gurus,

We are planning to propose a solution to avoid bottleneck on performance from reporting[Discoverer Reports] job runs on a database. As we are aware that with any High Availability Architecture, there will be single point of DB connection for any reporting job runs. We are thinking about 3 strategies to propose listed below. Can you please shed light on Advantages/Disadvantages of each approach based on your experience or any approach which can solve/address High Availability and Performance.

  1. Data Guard – Pure Disaster Recovery Solution. Leverage Active Standby for Reporting purposes (Partial only for 100% read only reports)
  2. Golden Gate Replication Technology to replicate Data Secondary site and using Secondary site for reporting purposes.
  3. RAC – High Availability Solution with additional node to be used for Reporting purposes.
  4. RAC – High Availability Solution with Golden Gate Replication Technology to replicate Data Secondary site real time for reporting purposes. Any HA/DR gains from this point?

Your help will be really helpful in determining the best feasible approach.

Thanks in Advance.

Regards,
Avadhani