HA Architecture Plus + Reporting Purposes

From: Avadhani mys <avadhanimys_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 12:35:46 -0800

Hi Gurus,

We are planning to propose a solution to avoid bottleneck on performance from reporting[Discoverer Reports] job runs on a database. As we are aware that with any High Availability Architecture, there will be single point of DB connection for any reporting job runs. We are thinking about 3 strategies to propose listed below. Can you please shed light on Advantages/Disadvantages of each approach based on your experience or any approach which can solve/address High Availability and Performance.

  1. Data Guard Pure Disaster Recovery Solution. Leverage Active Standby for Reporting purposes (Partial only for 100% read only reports)
  2. Golden Gate Replication Technology to replicate Data Secondary site and using Secondary site for reporting purposes.
  3. RAC High Availability Solution with additional node to be used for Reporting purposes.
  4. RAC High Availability Solution with Golden Gate Replication Technology to replicate Data Secondary site real time for reporting purposes. Any HA/DR gains from this point?

Your help will be really helpful in determining the best feasible approach.

Thanks in Advance.

Regards,
Avadhani