RE: Slow GC response for x64 bit 2008

From: Taylor, Chris David <ChrisDavid.Taylor_at_ingrambarge.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2011 09:09:20 -0600

I still think the performance issue is in the Weblogic rendering BUT:

Examine the task manager of the Windows 2008 target box (particularly the EMAGENT.EXE process) and run your tests while observing the task on the monitored host. If the emagent.exe process begins chewing up CPU then you're more likely on the right track. However, if the emagent process on the monitored host remains mostly idle, then the problem is on the GC host itself (and most likely in the Weblogic 10 layer).

I would bet the Production Mode (from Development Mode) switch didn't work as it should have in Weblogic and it is still running with DEBUG set.

Chris Taylor
Sr. Oracle DBA
Ingram Barge Company
Nashville, TN 37205

"Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of intelligent effort."
-- John Ruskin (English Writer 1819-1900)

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the named recipient, please notify the sender immediately and delete the contents of this message without disclosing the contents to anyone, using them for any purpose, or storing or copying the information on any medium.

From: Mark W. Farnham [mailto:mwf_at_rsiz.com] Sent: Wednesday, December 07, 2011 7:22 AM To: Storey, Robert (DCSO); oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: RE: Slow GC response for x64 bit 2008

I'd start with divide and conquer regarding where in the stack the long elapsed time is.

If you open a command window and use ping you should be able to do a traceroute to see if the network is going some stupid way to your targets. If you examine the objects on each displayed page, can you verify you're not reloading wallpaper, logos, or pictures from a remote source?

Is there anything funky about the DNS and/or security on W2008 (haven't had the displeasure yet) that might be taking a long time to resolve?

22 seconds is approximately forever, but not failing, so I think we're looking for some strange latency here.

Is it possible W2008R2 is trying to refresh the whole network topology for the workgroup, or something like that?

Good luck.