Re: Hard Parses way more than executions!?

From: Norman Dunbar <oracle_at_dunbar-it.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 13:32:58 +0000

On 30/11/11 13:27, PD Malik wrote:
> Hello Oracle List,
> How can the number of Hard Parses (or Loads) be way more than the number of
> executions please :

Some tool kits for connecting to Oracle allow you to parse a statement but never execute it subsequently. This is done for a number of reasons:

  • to check syntax etc;
  • to be able to DESCRIBE the statement to dynamically build result arrays, variables etc;
  • because the tool kit does it anyway because it was written that way.

I think I remember ADO being a "parse twice execute once" sort of thing - but that was years ago. (2003)

Cheers,
Norm.

--
Norman Dunbar