Re: English semantics help needed

From: saurabh manroy <saurabhmanroy_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 12:22:33 +0100

>> the patch does not fix the corruption. It only makes sure the redo/archive logs are cleaned from this corruption so that backups/standby work.
No,

From the note 7662491.8:

"The fix prevents this corruption to be introduced in the redo and *will not fix any existent* corruption that is already introduced in the redo/archived logs. Meaning that if the patch is installed and a recovery is attempted again using the same archived logs, the error will be still produced."

>> select from table would still give an error, wouldn't it ?

Yes,Patch wouldn't fix anything that is already corrupt. Note suggests to use dbms_repair to skip corrupt blocks.

>> There is no fix for the root cause ?

Patch would fix the rootcause but that would be of help only in future.

Regards,

Saurabh Manroy